Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pilgrim's Progress personality profile

My children went through a phase of taking movie character profile quizzes. "What character are you in Pride & Prejudice? Who are you in Narnia? There were some on the internet & some were on face book. I was dully amused by results. There was one good one, "What historical figure are you?" Ron was William Wallace, (yes, I cannot believe he took it!) and Caleb Frederick was William Wilberforce.
What I would like to see is a Pilgrim's Progress personality quiz. If I were more savvy with details & had more spare time, I would like to develop this quiz. I'd make people take it who wanted to join our church. (So... should we kick Mr. Worldly Wiseman out, or hope he'll see the error of his way & repent?) I personally pray He'd send us His lovers.
I do think it might be beneficial to see where you stand.
When Ron & I first got married, we attended a Bible study every Fri. night. One of our friends brought some guy she was evangelizing. He was very eager to come, asked many questions, and was quite faithful. It wasn't long, however, until we saw his motive. He was gathering information. We were going through Revelations, which is a topic most anyone who isn't even a believer, can be interested in. As we got to know him better, we found him knowledgeable on many topics, anything you can think of, actually. He could drone on for hours after it was over about many meaningless things. He wasn't interested in Christ, he was interested in this girl who'd brought him, (she wasn't interested in him) and he was also interested in getting a little more knowledgeable in Biblical mysteries. I think so to puff himself up as a know it all on great things. We'd met Talkative.
In the quiz, I'd have a selection of movie entertainment choices. There'd be comedies, dramas, documentaries, or anything Oscar award winning. I know it would have to be more specific, such as missionary documentary or the great drama of Amazing Grace, but you get the gist. This idea is in infancy, welcoming your input.
Favourite reading choices: classics, the newspaper (or web news,) theology, the Bible, biographies, thesaurus, ect.
Where is most of your treasure? Here or THERE?
Vacation preference? Trip to Scotland, Calcutta, Ethiopia, or Hawaii?
There are so many characters in PP that could be developed. I do think it is important to be face to face with who you are. Mr. Fearing is one of my favourite characters. He had his faults, but he knew his desired destination.
We recently listened to a sermon by Paul Washer called "10 Indictments." He said something that resounded with me. He said the church is not a whore, the church is the Bride of Christ, so be careful how you speak of her. His bride may not be perfect, but she is his & is out there devoted & true to him. A lot of goats are in the church, who sound like sheep, (people who come to our farm are sometimes mistaken in the identity of the two) are smearing the image of His bride. His bride LOVES HIM. We are like fish out of water when we don't walk in obedience to Him. Our lives are miserable existences when we don't walk in obedience & communion with HIM. We have a magnetized needle in our heart that points North to our Christ. No apologies. The goats in the church do not love Him or care anything about obedience or the glory of His Name. On the contrary, they like to see how much they can get by with & still have their 'Golden Ticket.' What is culturally acceptable for the 'Christian' to get away with, but still be labeled *Christian.* When a Christian finds a hard saying, he might think, 'oh woe is me, that looks hard, but O God, please give me the grace.' "I desire to do Your will, O God."
The heart is desperately wicked & DECEITFUL above all things. I think some people who honor Him with their lips, don't realize how far their hearts are from Him. I think a personality quiz could nail it. If only I had time, or maybe you do?
Do you have just an idea to throw in the pot about a character trait for one of the travelers?

No comments:

Post a Comment