Saturday, June 12, 2010

Happenings around here

Spring is over by the temps we had last night! It usually doesn't get to 75 until 9 or 10am, but it didn't even come out of that temp all night! Goodbye, upper 60's!
We have gotten over 40 quarts of snap beans already, the okra has begun to be picked, the purple hull peas & the butter beans will be in next week! I usually spend about 4 hours in the morning in the garden, come home for the heat of the day to put up the fruit of our labor, try to catch up on a little housework, lay down with the 'babies' (one in, one out) for an hour's rest, and head back out in the afternoon to do some more maintenance hoeing.
I have the watermelon patch all nice & cleaned out like I want it, but I am needing some newspaper end rolls from the Daily Journal that would keep the grass out of this patch. I hardly ever leave home because I'm so busy here, (except for Wed. & Sun. church) so if there is anyone who happens to pass by there ever and goes to our church (or would like to visit our church to get it to me :-), I would appreciate someone grabbing me a couple rolls to help me out tremendously! I don't need it this weekend, but would like it soon before it starts growing up. We're also killing chickens two days this next Thursday & Friday if anyone would like to come out to learn this skill or lend a hand. Also, this Thursday is my 40th birthday! I'm glad to be older & 'wiser!'

I'd love not to have to hoe this again while everything else is coming in..


Neo hoeing in the butterbeans behind Macrae in part of the watermelon patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment